Bioactives are naturally occurring components that are known to affect and modulate a wide range of enzymatic routes, contributing significantly to health when they are consumed throughout life as part of the daily dietLEARN MORE
MYTHOCONDRO®, the only vegetarian chondroitin sulfate, gains Novel Food EU Approval
DESIO, Italy – December, 12th 2017
On November 24th, the Minister for Medical Care (The Netherlands) sent an Official Notice to Gnosis with the approval for the placing of Chondroitin Sulfate (Mythocondro®) on the market in the EU pursuant to Regulation (EC) No. 258/97 Article 4.2 first indent.
Gnosis SpA in Desio, Italy, may market Mythocondro®, the Non-Animal Chondroitin Sulfate of fermentation origin, in the European Union as a Novel Food Ingredient to be used in food supplements as defined in Directive 2002/46 / EC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to food supplements. This opens the door to the commercialization of Mythocondro® from Gnosis, in the overall EU.
This key milestone is part of the global strategic plan of Gnosis that started in the USA with the granted GRAS Status of Mythocondro® and the commercialization of the first products with the novel ingredient, in 2017. Mythocondro® is the first Non-Animal Chondroitin Sulfate (CS) obtained through a fermentation-based manufacturing process providing a reliable and reproducible source of product. Mythocondro® solves any concerns related to the production origin, the possible presence of transmissible infective agents, the contaminations and adulterations typical of animal-derived raw materials and promises to completely change the global CS industry.
With this act, the entire process of registration of Mythocondro® in EU is closed and, starting from the beginning of 2018, the first supplements with the only vegetarian and vegan Chondroitin Sulfate will get finally the EU market.
- Low molecular weight and homogeneous structure similar to human chondroitin, found in synovial fluid
- Produced by a natural, green and protected fermentation process: Non-Animal production.
- Level of use lower than those of animal CS, due to the increased bioavailability
- Demonstrated biological activity and established safety profile with published clinical trials
- Vegetarian and vegan alternative for people with dietary and religious restrictions
- Increased anti-inflammatory effect compared to animal Chondroitin Sulfates*
*Bauerova K. et al, Pharmacology 2014
Discover more on Mythocondro® website!
BACK TO NEWS